To say I have a carb obsession would be an understatement. In my opinion, carbs make the world go round. Well, they at least make my world go round.
Now, I have found a way to make healthier recipes using whole wheat and whole grain products. This, however, is not one of those healthier recipes. This is a deliciously moist buttermilk cornbread that will go well paired with chili and various other entrees.
Think: Summer BBQ! This buttermilk cornbread was also used in our home to substitute for both breakfast and dessert.
· 1/2½ c butter, melted
· 2/3 c sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup buttermilk
· ½1/2 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 cup cornmeal
· 1 cup flour
· ½1/2 tsp salt
· Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a square baking pan with parchment paper. Let the edges of the paper stick out a bit at the top so it’s easier to remove once it’s cooled.
· Combine melted butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs and stir well. Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a large measuring cup. Pour into butter and egg mixture and stir. Add cornmeal, flour, and salt. Stir just until blended, batter should be thick. No worries if it’s lumpy, it won’t be too smooth.
· Pour into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
· Let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes then remove, slice, and serve!